Position: Curatorial Assistant
Reports To: Curatorial
Posted: June 4, 2012
Under the general supervision of the Curatorial Coordinator and in collaboration with the Curatorial and Registrar’s staff, provides administrative support for the Curatorial Department to ensure successful execution of curatorial and exhibition programs in support of the Museum’s mission.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides effective support for exhibition scheduling and production, including preparing loan and photography requests, corresponding with artists and lenders, creating and distributing checklists, producing exhibition labels, and generating project evaluation forms.
- Assists with the development and coordination of scholarly publications and other exhibition-related research and projects as assigned.
- Fields and responds to inquiries regarding the collection, artists, conservation, appraisals, and exhibitions. Assists with maintenance of the Curatorial files.
- Assists with processing expenditure, personnel, and purchasing documents related to the revenue and expense accounts for the Collections Division.
- Assist with preparation and distribution of minutes for Collection Committee and other meetings as assigned, and with coordination of paperwork related to gifts and purchases of art.
- Effectively carries out administrative duties and provides clerical support as needed.
- Effectively troubleshoots and provides ongoing support to keep Curatorial and Registrar office supplies replenished and equipment in good working order.
- Provides administrative assistance in other areas of the Museum as needed, such as call center support, responding to visitor inquiries, processing reservations and sales transactions, and other routine clerical assignments.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as required, directed, or as the situation dictates.
- Complies with all Portland Museum of Art safety rules and procedures.
- Regular attendance at the workplace is required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with one to three years experience in administrative support and/or office management. Experience in arts administration, art history, fine art, or another museum or gallery position preferred.
- Excellent office management skills with considerable knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills with attention to detail.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively with coworkers.
- Ability to effectively operate computers and work with databases and assigned software, including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to manage interns and volunteers.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The majority of work is performed in a museum or gallery setting or in a normal office environment not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Operates computer, printer, photocopier, scanner, and other office equipment. Work involves extended sitting and computer use.
The Curatorial Assistant position is a full-time, full-benefits, hourly, employment-at-will position.
Please send cover letter, resume’, and completed PMA application (available here or at the front desk) to: email@example.com or mail to: Business Manager, Portland Museum of Art, 7 Congress Square, Portland, ME 04101. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Portland Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Applications for this position require a completed PMA Job Application in addition to any materials requested above.