Old Fort Western

www.oldfortwestern.org

 

Member profile details

 

Contact information

Organization
Old Fort Western
Logo
 

Public information (for "Find a Museum" and "Service Provider" features)

Address for general public (first line)
16 Cony Street
City for general public
Augusta
State for general public
Maine
Zip for general public
04330
Maine county
Kennebec
Phone for general public (ex: 207-555-5555)
207-626-2385
E-mail for general public
Institution description
Old Fort Western is a National Historic Landmark built in 1754 and is Maine’s and New England’s oldest surviving wooden French & Indian War fort garrison. James Howard’s Company garrisoned the Fort and guarded the head of navigation on the Kennebec in the 1750s and 60s. Benedict Arnold used the Fort site as a staging point for his assault on Quebec during the American Revolution. From 1762-1784 the S & W Howard Store operated out of the garrison building providing goods and services to the settlers of the central Kennebec. Our collections and exhibits put you in mind of those historic times. The fort is the stewards of the following archaeological collections: Cushnoc Trading Post (Pilgrim trading post, 1628-1649); Fort Richmond (1719-1752); Fort Halifax & Fort Western (1754-1766/67). We also have five surviving account ledgers from the store dating 1767-1807.
Institutional areas of strength
  • Archaeology
  • Archive
  • Children’s
  • Forts
  • Genealogy
  • Historic House
  • Historic Site
  • Living History
  • Military
  • Museum
  • National Register of Historic Places
  • Reenactments

Never miss an event or important update - Sign up to receive news from MAM!

Join now! Start receiving benefits of membership.

Donate! Support Maine's collecting institutions with a tax-deductible gift.

Maine Archives and Museums

P.O. Box 784, Portland, Maine 04104

207-400-6965

info@mainemuseums.org 


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software