Development and Communications Assistant
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Maine Humanities Council (MHC) is a Portland-based nonprofit organization that serves the state of Maine. Our mission is to enrich the lives of people in Maine through literature, history, philosophy, and culture with programs, events, grants, and online resources that encourage critical thinking and conversation across social, economic, and cultural boundaries. Our work connects people through the power and pleasure of ideas, reaching audiences of all economic backgrounds in ways that make a significant difference in their lives.
The MHC is seeking a full-time Development and Communications Assistant to provide support for the fundraising and communications efforts of the organization. In that capacity, this individual will assist with fundraising and communications initiatives, with the following responsibilities:
- Manage gift entry and acknowledgement process, paying close attention to detail;
- Collaborate on solicitation process;
- Work closely with Director of Development for special approaches and solicitation opportunities linked with programming;
- Manage administrative fundraising operations, including the monthly giving program, multi-year giving club, expand-the-base process, and monthly acknowledgement phone call process;
- Assist with special fundraising events as needed;
- Manage social media schedules and implementations, such as Facebook and Twitter, as well as online calendar and website updates;
- Manage Humanities on Demand podcast program;
- Draft and send press releases in partnership with staff;
- Create postcards for MHC events as needed; and
- Contribute to other development/communications initiatives as needed
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent organizational, communications, and interpersonal skills
- The ability to meet deadlines and maintain organized records with high level of accuracy in a fast-paced environment
- Superior attention to detail
- Sensitivity to confidential information
- A high proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, Outlook) and database software
- A strong facility with technology
- Demonstrated involvement with social media and online communication tools
- Basic graphic design skills (Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator)
- A Bachelor’s degree and a strong interest in the humanities
The salary for this position is $25,000 with a benefit package.
To apply, please send a résumé, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com.
Public humanities scholars
In addition, the Council is always interested in expanding its roster of public humanities scholars who are available on a project-by-project contractual basis to advise council projects or lead group discussions of books in locations around Maine. If you are an experienced humanities teacher or scholar who is interested in working with the public and you would like more information, please e-mail your resume and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch with you.