The Assistant to the Director for the Arctic Museum/Arctic Studies at Bowdoin College will provide budgetary and administrative support to the Director and other Arctic Museum/Arctic Studies staff, including assisting in the day-to-day operations of the Museum and Arctic programs, and supporting the Director’s academic duties.
- Manages the Arctic Museum’s operating account and other special Arctic Museum/Arctic Studies accounts; approves routine budget expenditures; analyzes and generates reports regarding the Arctic program’s financial accounts.
- In consultation with the Director, manages the Museum’s administrative programs, including maintaining the Director’s calendar and the Museum’s communal calendar and web site, maintaining the Museum’s mailing list, and handling confidential correspondence.
- Arranges travel accommodations and housing for Museum staff and guest lecturers
- Arranges and helps coordinate Arctic Museum events, including dinners, receptions, lectures and symposia; reserves campus spaces for events; alerts Food Services of catering needs.
- In consultation with the Director, facilitates public relations initiatives including coordinating placement of exhibition and event announcements in print and on-line publications and sites, developing designs of invitations/posters/ads or arranging for their design by outside vendors, coordinating with the Mailroom and Development regarding mailings, and working with Communications and organizations outside the College.
- Assists in the development and preparation of Museum brochures, catalogues, and other publications.
Required: High school diploma or GED; Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
Also required: strong analytical and writing skills, basic accounting skills and ability to prepare financial analyses, strong computer skills (MS Word and Excel required; Photoshop, Publisher, and In-Design strongly preferred), excellent organizational skills and excellent customer service skills.
A minimum of 2 years of administrative experience in a busy office environment is required. Experience working in an academic setting preferred.
Further details and instructions to apply can be found on our online application:
For questions, please contact email@example.com.
Bowdoin College is committed to equality and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our College. Bowdoin College does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment, or in our education programs.