DIRECT HIRE CAREER OPPORTUNITY
STATE OF MAINE
Maine State Museum
Museum Technician I
Part-Time 20 hours weekly
Salary Range: $12.53 - $16.43/hourly
Class Code: 3121 Range: 15
Value of State paid Dental Insurance: $13.69 bi-weekly
*Value of State-paid Health Insurance
Level 1: 100% State Contribution (employee pays nothing): $363.77 bi-weekly
Level 2: 95% State Contribution (employee pays 5%): $345.58 biweekly
Level 3: 90% State Contribution (employee pays 10%): $327.39 biweekly
Level 4: 85% State Contribution (employee pays 15%): $309.20 biweekly
* The level of the actual value of state paid Health Insurance will be based on the employee's
wage rate and status with regard to the health credit premium program as of July 1, 2011. Value of State’s share of employee retirement contribution = 11.54% of salary for BU position; 16.54% of salary for X position.
Date Issued: September 28, 2012 Date Closed: October 19, 2012
PURPOST OF ANNOUNCEMENT:
The Maine State Museum has a 20 hour a week position for a Museum Technician I position in their Education Division. The Maine State Museum is opened seven days a week and this position would be required to work some weekend hours.
This is technical services work providing interpretation of the collections on display in both formal and informal settings. Work involves disseminating information and presenting gallery education programs. Work is performed under general supervision.
· Inspects exhibit galleries and related areas in order to assure visitor safety
· Provides active interpretation of the exhibits to general visitors and school group
· Presents (teaches) formal education programs relating to Maine natural history, prehistory and/or social history
· Assists in the planning and presentation of scheduled special events
- Provides maintenance for the exhibit galleries and assists with the operation of audio-visual presentations.
· Assists with scheduling group visits to the museum and helps to manage the scheduling database
· Provides security for the collection on display in the exhibit galleries
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques used in assigned specialty. (Education /interpretation)
· Knowledge of applicable security rules and safety codes.
· Ability to interact in a positive manner with visitors of different ages and abilities.
· Ability to maintain facilities
· Ability to work independently
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Two (2) years education and/or experience in appropriate museum specialty. Preference will be given to applicants with experience teaching in a formal or informal educational setting.
HOW TO APPLY: Qualified candidates should send resume, direct hire application, and letter of interest to Julie Cotnoir, Personnel Officer, General Government Service Center, 74 State House Station, Augusta, Maine, 04333, Telephone (207) 624-7417. Direct Hire applications are available at the General Government Service Center in Augusta, all Maine Career Center Offices, and on the General Government Service Center web site at: http://www.maine.gov/fps/opportunities.
Maine State Government is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer-diverse candidates encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.