TYPE: Full Time, Experienced
REQUIRED DEGREE: BA/BS
SALARY: Competitive with benefits and is commensurate with the Abbe’s current salary structure
The museum educator is a full-time position with some evening and weekend work required. Travel
is required. The position reports to the Director of Collections & Interpretation and is a salaried
position, plus benefits. A background check is required.
Duties will be shared with our current Museum Educator, and include:
- Develop, schedule, and deliver educational programing to students of all ages, both at the museum and off-site.
- Develop and deliver supporting material and evaluations for educational programming
- Develop and deliver teacher training and supporting curriculum material
- Develop, schedule, and deliver/support public programming, such as lectures, panels,workshops, demonstrations, films, etc.
- Develop, schedule and deliver tours
- Participate in the development and creation of interactive exhibit elements, activity guides, etc. for both facilities
- Assist in the development of educational goals for exhibits, and the implementation of these goals into all exhibits
- Identify and/or review educational merchandise and books for the museum shop
- Maintain up-to-date educational resource lists provided via the Abbe Museum’s web site
- Assist in the marketing of educational and public programs and teacher training
- Oversee the recruitment, training, and management of museum volunteers
- Other duties as assigned
This is a full time position that reports to Director of Collections & Interpretation, and works in
close cooperation with the other Museum Educator. This position works with all Abbe staff as a
team member, and as a member of the Education Team and the Exhibit Team. This position works
with Abbe education volunteers to schedule and host all types of Abbe public and school programs.
This position will also work with Native contractors to schedule, present, and evaluate public
programs. This is a highly public position requiring a thorough understanding of the Abbe’s mission
and strategic plan.
Every employee participates as a team member.
Every employee is cognizant of our fundraising needs and is involved in the process.REQUIREMENTS
- BA in Education, Anthropology, Native American Studies, or some related field
- Classroom teaching experience desired
- Evaluation experience desired
- Experience working with tribal communities highly desired
- Knowledge of Native American history, culture, and issues
- Experience working with the public and public speaking
- Experience working with difficult topics, such as stereotypes and racism
- Experience working with children & life-long learners
- Excellent communication skills - verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to lift 25 lbs and move bulky objects
Interested candidates should email a resume or CV and cover letter in pdf format to
email@example.com or mail to:
Director of Collections & Interpretation
PO Box 286
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
No phone calls, please.