Posting: Contract Director for the association Maine Archives and Museums (MAM)
Position filled on a contract basis, renewed annually
MAM fosters a network of citizens and institutions in Maine who identify, collect, interpret, and/or provide access to materials relating to history, living collections, and culture. The MAM Director assists in these activities by managing the organization’s membership program, communications, and finances, and by assisting Board and Committee Members with programs and initiatives such as the annual conference, workshop series, and advocacy.
The Director operates as a contractor, setting their own schedule and providing their own work space and equipment.
Services to be provided:
· Website updates and social media support (Twitter, Facebook)
· Supporting member recruitment and retention, managing the membership database (Wild Apricot)
· Financial management, including bookkeeping, accounts receivable/payable, and making deposits
· Assisting the treasurer and finance committee with budgets and financial reports
· Management of Board and committee meetings, including agenda distribution and taking of meeting minutes
· Desktop publishing, writing and editing services (eg. board handbook, conference program, postcard mailers, fliers)
· Answering and forwarding telephone, electronic and written requests for information about and services provided by MAM as appropriate
· Work with the Advocacy Committee to advocate for issues of concern at the state level
· Represent MAM in the National Association of State Museum Associations
· Event/meeting planning, including hotel and conference room and catering reservations as needed, in cooperation with the Programs Committee
· Conducting research and preparing statistical reports (e.g., conference feedback surveys, surveying the membership)
· Filing appropriate organizational reports with state and federal agencies (eg. Annual Report/ IRS 990)
· Maintaining MAM’s files and archives, including maintaining adequate back-ups of MAM related digital files in the Director’s care
· Writing grants in conjunction with board committees and administering awards
· In conjunction with the Board, identifying, cultivating and maintaining ties to community groups, associations, state agencies and other institutions to promote MAM’s programs, growth and members and/or secure cooperation, funding or assistance in programming.
· Promoting MAM and establishing effective public relations through the preparation and presentation of public programs and workshops, working with the communications committee in drafting press releases, and representing MAM when speaking with media outlets
· Administer the Maine Cultural Listserv (MCULTR)
- Proven excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated successful experience with word processing, database, and spreadsheet software, as well as social media platforms. Desktop publishing skills strongly preferred.
-Strong time-management skills.
-Experience in the museum, library, or archives field.
-MAM does not have a bricks-and mortar office, so the successful applicant must be able to provide his or her own office set up.
This is an annual contract position that pays $800 month (based on an average of 40 hours a month at $20/hour).
How to Apply:
E-mail applications only, please. Please save all documents as pdfs and send a letter of interest, c.v., contact information for three references to Raney Bench, MAM Board President, at email@example.com no later than November 30, 2015.