The collections assistant is responsible for completing the digitization and cataloging of assigned sections of the Brick Store Museum’s permanent archival collection of photographs according to the standards set forth by the Museum.
The collections assistant will work with the Collections Manager on assigned portions of the permanent archival collection, to digitize and catalogue the photographs appropriately using the Museum’s collections management software, PastPerfect.
This is a one-year, temporary grant-funded position made possible by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Hourly rate: $15/hour.
· Catalogue and digitize assigned sections of Museum’s permanent archival collection via PastPerfect.
· Assist in data migration and clean-up for files already in PastPerfect and/or in paper files.
· Works closely with Collections Manager to develop PastPerfect collections database of archival material.
· Safely handling and scanning archival photographs of varying sizes, ages, and qualities.
· Attend weekly/monthly meetings to assess cataloguing progress.
Bachelor’s degree in history, museum studies, library sciences, archival management, or related field. Must be knowledgeable in metadata standards and archival best practices. Excellent organizational and communication skills; knowledge of computer database PastPerfect5 and experience scanning various types of photographic material. The ideal candidate will be a team player, technically proficient, ability to work independently with close attention to detail, accuracy and production expectations.
Work is performed under typical office conditions in the archives and non-public collections storage areas. The Project Archivist must be familiar with the operation of typical office computer systems and devices, telephones, standard office equipment, and copier/scanners. The work may involve exposure to dust and the ability to lift boxes up to 40 pounds. Noise level is quiet, except for routine interactions during the work day.
TO APPLY: Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2016.