The Deer Isle-Stonington Historical Society was formed in 1959 with the goal of collecting and preserving historical facts, records, and relics pertaining to Deer Isle, Stonington, and adjoining communities and islands of East Penobscot Bay in the State of Maine.
The Society's headquarters, located at 416 Sunset Road (Route 15A) in Deer Isle, just north of the Island Country Club, includes five buildings and a variety of displays. It is staffed by a group of dedicated and knowledgeable volunteers who are there to answer questions, point out features of the displays, and assist those who wish to do research.
We recently completed a major capital campaign that supported the construction of a new 32-foot by 48-foot post-and-beam barn, an attached pole barn, and the expansion of the Archives building, including a new vault.
The Society publishes a bi-annual newsletter and sponsors several summer events.