Events at Member Institutions

Umbrella Cover Museum, Peaks Island Curran Homestead and Living History Museum, Orrington Curran Homestead and Living History Museum, Orrington Hamilton House, South Berwick Union Historical Society 

Post Event Info Now

Members and non-members of the MAM may post information about their events to the event blog below. To post non-event news, see the news listings and the jobs/internships board. MAM reserves the right to edit or reject postings. This service is free to members; non-members will be charged $20.

Posts to this event blog are automatically shared to the MAM Facebook page to get even more exposure!

See it in print: To submit event information to our quarterly print newsletter, see the guidelines and deadlinesTo advertise in our quarterly print newsletter, see the specifications and deadlines.

MEMBERS: To post your item to this news blog, log in and click "Add Post." If you have trouble logging in, email

NON-MEMBERS: To submit content to the event blog, email

  • 28 Aug 2019 1:58 PM | Anonymous member


    November 13, 2019


    7:00 PM — 9:00 PM


    Visual Arts Center, Kresge Auditorium, Bowdoin College


    The Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum & Studies Center

    Joel Clement is an Arctic Initiative Senior Fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School's Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs with a background in climate and energy issues, resilience and climate change adaptation, landscape-scale conservation and management, and Arctic social-ecological systems. Prior to joining the Kennedy School, Mr. Clement served as an executive for seven years at the U.S. Department of the Interior. In September 2017, he was awarded The Joe A. Callaway Award for Civic Courage and resigned from public service in October of that year. Since then he has been on a national speaking tour and has received multiple awards for ethics, courage, and his dedication to the role of science in public policy. Before serving in the federal Government, Mr. Clement was the Conservation Science Program Officer for a private foundation in Seattle where he focused on climate change adaptation strategies, landscape-scale conservation, and improving geospatial data-sharing capacity. In addition to his role at the Harvard Kennedy School, he is an Associate with the Stockholm Environmental Institute and a Senior Fellow with the Union of Concerned Scientists.

    Free and open to the public

    Sponsored by: The Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum & Arctic Studies Center. Made possible by a gift from Rebecca J. Rowe ’97, and is part the Arctic Museum's Environmental and Social Justice Lecture Series.

  • 28 Aug 2019 10:47 AM | Anonymous member

    Matthew Alexander Henson: First African-American at the North Pole

    Matthew Henson Photo Exhibit – August 27, 2019-December 31, 2019

    Matthew Henson spent years exploring the Arctic with Robert E. Peary and in 1909 he was the only other American to stand with Peary at the North Pole. Henson was excluded from receiving the many honors showered on Peary and the other white members of the expedition. Only near the end of his life did Henson received recognition for his remarkable career as an Arctic explorer. This exhibit is in conjunction with the AF/AM/50 celebrations.

    Matthew Henson, Matt to his friends, was born in Maryland in 1866, the son of free-born sharecroppers. Orphaned at age seven or eight he lived briefly with his uncle in Washington, D.C. before running away to sea when he was eleven.  He traveled the world as a cabin boy and seaman for eight years before returning to Washington. There, in 1887, while working at a haberdashery, he met Robert E. Peary, who was preparing for a survey expedition to Nicaragua. Peary hired Henson as a valet for that trip, the beginning of a long working relationship between the two men.

    Museum Hours:

    Tuesday-Saturday: 10:00a–5:00p

    Sunday: 2:00p–5:00p

    Closed: Mondays and national holidays

    The museum is located in Hubbard Hall at Bowdoin College and admission is FREE.

  • 26 Aug 2019 11:16 AM | Anonymous member

    A reliable drinking source, liquid sustenance and promoter of sociability, beer and ale played an important role in colonial New England society. Archaeologists know this through the thousand of artifacts related to ale and tavern culture that litter our sites. What was the difference between a beer and an ale? Why did the Mayflower end its voyage when it ran out of beer? Why would anyone brew ale with molasses, sassafras and wormwood? Join us as we answer these questions and explore history on tap.

    On Saturday, September 14, the Tate House Museum and Mast Landing Brewing Co in Westbrook present an afternoon of education and entertainment surrounding beer in the 18th and 19th century. The event starts with a beer centered tour of the Tate House Museum. Follow that up with a tasting of 4 beers at Mast Landing Brewing Company and a talk by Dr. Emerson "Tad" Baker, Professor of History, Salem State University.

    The event begins at 3 PM with a tour of the Tate House Museum, followed by the brewery portion of the program beginning at 4:30. There are 2 types of tickets you can purchase, at 2 different price points.

    $35 (or $30 for THM members) Full Event - Museum & Brewery– includes a beer-focused tour of the Tate House, a complimentary THM pint glass & an 18th century beer recipe for you to try at home. Immediately afterward, at Mast Landing Brewing Co., enjoy a tasting of 4 of their delicious brews, an interesting presentation by Dr. Baker.

    $25 Partial Event - Brewery Only - you may purchase a ticket for just the portion of the event which takes place at the brewery (no house tour, no pint glass and no recipe).

    This event is a fundraiser for the Tate House Museum in the Historic Stroudwater District of Portland. FMI go to and click on events or call the museum at 774-6177.

  • 05 Jul 2019 2:45 PM | Anonymous member

    Portland__ On Thursday, July 18 the Tate House Museum will host noted author, Patricia Q Wall, in the 3rd of it’s Summer Guest Lectures at the Means House in Portland. The title of Mrs Wall’s lecture is “Still Hidden Everywhere: Enslaved Blacks in the Massachusetts Province of Maine”. She is the author of Lives of Consequence: Blacks in Early Kittery and Berwick in the Massachusetts Province of Maine and several children’s books which focused on slavery and the lives of blacks in Maine. For over 48 years she has been involved with colonial history through professional museum work, research, teaching and writing.

    Based on nearly six years of research, Mrs. Wall’s findings refute the old myth of slavery’s scarcity in this region in the 17th and 18th centuries, and point to the significant impact of the labor and skills of enslaved Africans, Native Americans and people of mixed heritage on the economic development of some of Maine’s earliest coastal towns.

    Lectures take place starting at 6:30 PM in the Means House, across the street from the Tate House. Admission is $15 and $12 for members and volunteers. Seating is limited, so please call the Museum at 207-774-6177 for reservations.



    Tate House Museum

    1267 Westbrook Street

    Portland ME 04102


  • 28 Jun 2019 3:55 PM | Anonymous member

    Portland __ On Thursday, July 11th at 6:30 PM the Tate House Museum will be holding the 2nd in its series of guest lectures with a presentation by Herb Adams. Adams, a SMCC Professor, former Maine State legislator, author and noted Portland historian, will help us relive the fanfare of the 1825 visit to Portland of the Marquis de Lafayette.

    Guests attending the lecture in the Means House parlor will be entertained by Professor Adams talk entitled “Hail the Hero of Two Worlds: Lafayette Returns to America – and Maine”. Of interest is the fact that Lafayette knew the owner of the Means House and is believed to have visited the home of his friend, James Means, in 1825.

    Lectures take place in the Means House, across the street from the Tate House. Admission is $15 and $12 for members and volunteers. Seating is limited, so please call the Museum at 207-774-6177 for reservations.



    Tate House Museum

    1267 Westbrook Street

    Portland ME 04102


  • 11 Jun 2019 11:58 AM | Anonymous member

    The Trustees and staff of Yarmouth Historical Society are pleased to present The Wellcome Prize, a history competition open to high school students in Maine. Students are invited to undertake original historical research about a local history topic related to Cumberland County and write a research paper about their findings. Papers will be judged on the quality of writing and research. The writers of the three winning papers will be asked to present a talk about their project on November 19, 2019. The first prize winner will receive $1000, second prize $500, and third prize $250. Visit our website for more information: 

  • 05 Jun 2019 5:54 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    80th Anniversary Year for the World’s Oldest, Largest Historical Trolley Museum

    The Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport has officially opened for the 2019 season. The Museum will be open from 10AM-5PM every weekend in May, and daily starting on Memorial Day.  A year-long celebration is planned for the Seashore Trolley Museum this season as it turns 80. Founded in 1939, the trolley museum is the oldest historic transportation organization of its kind in the world and curates the largest streetcar collection.

    The museum features a three-mile round trip on its heritage railway, a 330-unit collection of trolleys, buses and more transit history than you can absorb in one day. Seashore Trolley Museum offers attractions for every member of your family. The museum’s docents are only too glad to unravel the mysteries of the last century’s transit modes.

    All of this activity began eighty years ago, when a group of Boston area college students visited Maine, to ride the dwindling number of streetcar lines.  While enjoying an outing, they learned that The Biddeford and Saco Railroad had ordered replacement buses for its weary trolleys.  One open-sided car, No. 31, was a favorite with the group.  On the spot, they agreed to save the little car.  In doing so, the college students made history.

    This was the first time a non-company group saved a street railway or railroad car for historic purposes.  Armed with this idea, other groups sprang up in New England and around the U.S. Today, this local rolling endeavor covers the country from coast to coast.

    Over the years, Seashore Trolley Museum has added to its collection streetcars from Los Angeles, New Orleans, Chicago, and to Maine’s northernmost county – Aroostook.  Besides rail cars, the collection includes diesel and gas buses. There are 19 electrically powered trackless trolleys, like those running around Cambridge’s Harvard Square.  Its Canadian collection is the largest outside of that country.  If you are not satisfied with a North American assortment, transit equipment from:  Australia, France, Japan, Germany, Great Britain, Italy and New Zealand may be viewed or ridden.

    Bostonians will enjoy refreshing their memories of familiar rapid transit cars.  All four subway lines:  Red, Green, Blue and Orange are represented.  In fact, Seashore prides itself on displaying the comprehensive “Boston Collection” of trolleys, trains and buses.  The oldest piece of equipment in the museum is a Suffolk County Sheriff’s prisoner wagon, circa 1830.  Although it is not a passenger vehicle, it represents the omnibuses, which clattered over the Hub’s cobblestone streets, until horse cars arrived.

    The birthday celebration weekend of July 5-8 will see hidden trolleys out in the sunshine for the first time in years. There will be other special activities taking place as well. For more information about the streetcar preservation movement, the Seashore Trolley Museum and its collection, as well as a calendar of events for the 2019 season, please visit or contact 207-967-2800 x101.

  • 31 May 2019 6:10 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Museum exhibit asks: Can shoes be artful objects?

    Inspired by the success of its most recent Bates bedspread exhibit, Museum L-A began the process of curating their newest gallery exhibit featuring shoes over one year ago. The plan for the exhibit was three-fold: highlight Auburn’s historic shoe industry, explore the techniques and terms that accompany shoes, and acknowledge the aesthetic beauty of shoe designs.

    In response to a call for donations of shoes that the museum sent to local news outlets, Marilynn G. Barr, an artist from North Carolina, contacted the museum’s Collections and Exhibits coordinator to see if the museum would be interested in showcasing her astounding collection of ceramic shoes. One year later, Museum L-A is thrilled to announce that her shoes will be on display in the gallery for three months this summer.

    Barr’s collection, “The First Shoe Collection,” is made up of 60 ceramic shoes fashioned using vintage shoe lasts from the 1940s and ‘50s. All of the shoes are singles (reminiscent of Cinderella’s abandoned shoe), are vastly different in design and color, and were recently part of an exhibition in New York City. The collection begs the question: Can shoes be artful objects?

    “At the beginning of this curation process, we had always flirted with ideas of how to infuse this exhibit about an everyday object with art and design, so when Marilynn reached out to us we jumped at the chance to include her collection at some point during this exhibition,” explained Emma Sieh, Collections and Exhibits coordinator.

    The public is invited to attend a free event from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, June 14, to view these beautiful shoes and meet their ingenious creator. Travelling from Greensboro, North Carolina, Barr will lead the evening in an artist’s talk and answer questions about the process of crafting these works of art. Light refreshments will be served and the public will have a chance to tour the rest of the “Footwear: From Function to Fashion” exhibition.

    “The First Shoe Collection” will be on display in the Museum L-A gallery until mid-September.

    Museum L-A is located in the Bates Mill Complex at 35 Canal Street in Lewiston, Maine.  Its hours of operation are Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.  Special tour requests and large group tours outside of these hours are available by appointment. Call 207-333-3881 or email for more information.

  • 31 May 2019 6:06 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Our Stories Have to Be Told: HHRC Artifacts from the Holocaust

    The latest exhibit at the Holocaust and Human Rights Center of Maine will feature a collection of the artifacts that have been given to the HHRC over the years and compiled in a way that tells the story of the years leading up to the Holocaust through liberation.

    Our Stories Have to Be Told: HHRC Artifacts from the Holocaust brings together a powerful collection of items that have been donated or loaned to the HHRC over the years.

    The exhibit will open on Wednesday, June 5th from 5 to 7 p.m. with a program beginning at 5:30 p.m. featuring educator Suzi Ring, whose late husband Dennis donated a collection of items from concentration camps. In addition, speakers will include Noel March, who will share the story of his father Leonard, who was a liberator. Lee D. Mitgang will speak about his father Herbert who wrote for the Stars and Stripes and went on to have a successful career as a journalist. The exhibit was put together by HHRC Associate Director David Greenham and recent University of Southern Maine graduate Justin Dyer of Bath.  Both will speak about the process of creating the exhibit.

    The title comes from a quote by Holocaust survivor Jerry Slivka (July 11, 1915 – January 10, 2013). He is one of several survivors whose quotes and reflections are included in the exhibit.

    Jerry Slivka was born in the Ukraine, but his village was destroyed during WWI. The family moved to the Jewish section of another town nearby named Povursk. When Hitler came to power, Jerry was out of school and decided to move to Lodz, Poland. He worked making sweaters and then returned to Povursk in 1937.  Four years later, Jerry was drafted into the Soviet army. During his time of service, he lost contact with his family. In 1943, Jerry was sent to a work camp in Siberia where he remained until the end of the war.  At that time, the Soviet Union had an agreement that those who were Polish citizens prior to 1939 could go back to Poland. Jerry qualified, submitted his application, and a year later returned to Poland.  He learned that his parents, sister and one brother were killed. Jerry was able to find his surviving brother and the two traveled to Italy before arriving to the US in 1948.  Soon after, he met and married his wife Rochelle. The couple moved to Maine and helped found the Holocaust and Human Rights Center of Maine. At the time of his death, he was survived by two daughters, six grandchildren, three great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews.

    Our Stories Have to Be Told: HHRC Artifacts from the Holocaust will be open from June 5th through September 13th. The HHRC, located at the Michael Klahr Center on the campus of the University of Maine at Augusta is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. or on weekends and evenings by appointment. 

    If you have any questions about the exhibit please contact David Greenham at or 207-621-3531. 

  • 28 May 2019 2:13 PM | Anonymous member

    The Kennebec Historical Society’s June Public Presentation: “Risking Lives and Fortunes, Maine’s Underground Railroad”

    With America embroiled in the Civil War and the issue of slavery tearing apart friends and neighbors, many Mainers, including families Kennebec County, put their lives and fortunes at risk by helping escaping slaves get to Canada in the 1860s. From Kittery to Fort Fairfield, like-minded abolitionists formed an extensive “underground railroad” connection that broke the law, the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850. Jail time and heavy fines faced anyone caught in this endeavor, but brave families from the Nasons to the Farwells and Lambs refused to buckle to the dangers. The result was thousands of slaves, often chased by slave hunters, made the treacherous trip to freedom.

    The Kennebec Historical Society’s speaker and winner of six national magazine writing awards, Mark Alan Leslie began his career as a journalist, reporting for the then-Waterville Morning Sentinel and then as an editor for the Lewiston Sun, Portland Press Herald and Sunday Telegram. He was the founding editor for Golf Course News, a publication that shot to the top of golf industry publications. Leslie has written 11 books, including three historical novels, four modern-day mystery/thrillers, two golf books, a devotional and a Christian self-help book.

    At 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 19, at South Parish Congregational Church at 9 Church Street, Augusta, author Mark Alan Leslie will weave this story, complete with photographs and narratives, that helped him write the Publishers Weekly Featured Book, True North: Tice’s Story.  The Kennebec Historical Society June Presentation is free to the public (donations gladly accepted) and will be followed by some light refreshments.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software