Museum L-A seeks a highly motivated Director of Development at a pivotal moment in its history. This position offers an exceptional opportunity to be part of a transformational capital campaign that will shape, guide, and execute the creation of outstanding programming and visitor experiences and develop a community gathering place to celebrate the accomplishments of the community while providing inspiration for the future.
Position Overview: The Director of Development is responsible for expanding and providing leadership to the Museum’s ongoing development and capital campaign efforts. This position requires a dynamic, creative, flexible, and skilled individual and highly organized team player who thrives in a fast-paced and challenging environment. The Director of Development will work closely with the Executive Director and in collaboration with the Board of Directors to develop and oversee all aspects of the development plan. This position holds overall responsibility for the Museum’s fundraising programs, including annual fund, major gifts, capital campaign, sponsorships, corporate and foundation support, and planned giving.
About Museum L-A: Located in a temporary location in the Bates Mill Complex in Lewiston, Maine, Museum L-A is dedicated to the industrial and community history of Lewiston-Auburn and surrounding areas. Since 2004, the Museum has evolved from a single focus subject of textile mills to a dedicated community museum serving as an extended classroom, welcoming tourists, celebrating heritage, fostering innovation, and spurring economic growth as a key contributor to and catalyst for civic, cultural, and economic revitalization. It owns a 2.5-acre site on the banks of the Downtown Riverfront Island of Lewiston where the planning of a rehabilitation of a former textile mill and new addition is ongoing.
Job Responsibilities: The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director. The responsibilities of the Director of Development include the following:
- · Directing a $15 million capital campaign effort, taking the campaign from the quiet phase though construction and campaign completion;
· Planning and implementing comprehensive programs for financial support in the areas of annual giving, restricted giving, planned giving, and endowments;
- · Establishing solicitation priorities, managing prospect lists and research, and developing and executing a targeted cultivation plan for a range of prospects;
· Enhancing and maintaining close working relationships with the philanthropic community, individual and corporate donors, sponsors, and Board members for the advancement and promotion of Museum L-A and its mission;
- Planning, organizing, and executing fundraising and stewardship events to support the mission of Museum L-A;
- · Assuming responsibility for providing detailed development reports to the Executive Director and Board of Directors on a regular basis;
· Communicating with donors and prospective donors through written correspondence, personal phone calls and visits, direct-mail solicitation, and timely publications.
- Qualifications and Skills
- · Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills; strong cultivation skills;
- · Operational and capital campaign fundraising experience; ability to interact with and influence individuals and philanthropic leaders;
- · Demonstrated experience in producing campaign collateral materials;
- · Proven success at securing major gift support;
- · Experience in scheduling and staffing solicitation calls and conducting follow-up and stewardship;
- · Capability to build and sustain community relationships and partnerships, and to recruit and develop local volunteer leadership;
- · Possess or have the ability to obtain a basic understanding of local industrial and community history;
- · Minimum education requires a Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Museum L-A is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Audrey Thomson, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line.