Museum of Art
Part-time, Temporary, Non-Exempt, Hourly, Staff Appointment
This museum preparation and installation crew position provides essential assistance to the senior preparator, manager of installations and operations, and manager of collections and registration in the physical care and handling and installation of the Museum’s art collection and exhibition loans and the preparation and maintenance of gallery spaces. This is a project-based, temporary, part-time position, with crew members scheduled for hours as needed and dependent upon availability to complete special exhibition or permanent collection gallery installation projects. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Assist with exhibition preparation including, but not limited to, framing, preparing, hanging, moving of heavy sculpture, installation, de-installation, packing, shipping, and receiving artwork
- Assist as needed with preparation, matting and framing, basic collections care, and basic cleaning of objects in the Museum collection
- Move object cases and other exhibit furniture, install art in all media – mount vinyl text, object labels, photographs and other didactic exhibition material; design and fabricate museum mounts for small objects
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- A high school diploma or equivalent required; professional coursework or post-secondary education are a plus
- Prior experience with the care and handling of fine art objects in a museum or related setting required; 1-3 years of experience preferred
- Manual dexterity and care in the handling of art objects and ability to carefully follow established procedures; attention to detail and accuracy are critical
- Basic carpentry skills and/or knowledge of standard tools, practices, and methods in painting, rough and finish carpentry preferred
- Ability to make an impact through work as a member of a team and diverse community
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
General open office and campus environment. Position involves frequent movement. Ability to lift up to 75 pounds, climb scaffolding, work at heights, and stand for extended periods is required. Ability to use eyes and hands to examine and handle delicate objects. Work outside of normal business hours may be required.
For more information and to apply visit: