Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to celebrating Maine’s vibrant maritime culture. Because this culture includes different backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape the future, we invite you to join our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the Kennebec River, on a twenty-acre campus where collaboration and creativity are encouraged.
Reporting to the Collections & Library Services Manager and working closely with the curatorial team, the Collection Specialist is a position funded by an Institute of Museum and Library Services Museums for America grant to complete a comprehensive inventory, cataloging, and digitization project in MMM’s principal collection storage space. The project will provide the museum with substantially improved intellectual and physical control of a large portion of its object collection, resulting in increased access and improved collection care. The roughly 9,000 items include models, clothing and textiles, furniture, fishing materials, and other 3D and 2D cultural heritage objects. The term of employment is 18-months with possibility of extension.
Essential Job Functions
- · Completes inventory of items within the scope of grant project
- · Expands descriptive metadata in catalog records, including basic condition reporting
- · Carries out provenance research
- · Performs digital imaging and related asset management
- · Assesses conservation and rehousing needs
- · Adheres to best practices in object handling
- · Collaborates with team to assess project progress and workflows
Education & Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in history, art history, American studies, or a related field is required. Graduate coursework in museum studies, history, or related cultural heritage field preferred. Previous collections documentation experience is required.
- · Proven collections handling and cataloging experience
- · Knowledge of metadata standards and controlled vocabularies
- · Understanding of digital imaging standards
- · Thrives in a team-oriented environment
- · Able to sit and stand for extended periods of time
- · Ability to lift items weighing up to 50 pounds
- · Familiarity with PastPerfect and American maritime material culture knowledge a plus
The Collection Specialist is a full-time, 18-month grant-funded position with full benefits and the possibility of an extension. Salary is $18.00 per hour.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Date posted: May 2022
This position is subject to sex offender and criminal background checks.