MHS welcomes applications for this part-time, 21 hrs/week, non-exempt position in our Advancement office. Remote and flex schedule possible.
The Advancement Operations Specialist manages MHS’s Advancement database. He/she enters, updates, and retrieves a wide variety of constituent records; enters gifts; and produces gift acknowledgments. The Specialist collaborates with staff to architect new data systems, standards, and procedures to strengthen MHS’s annual, major, and planned giving programs and related cultivation and stewardship activities. He/she creates reports to help staff prioritize outreach and engages in prospect research. The Specialist works closely with Advancement team members to support MHS’s commitment to philanthropy and individual relationship building; growing our base of support; and increasing public awareness about our mission. This position requires a strong aptitude and affinity for technology, standardization, and process.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Gift Entry & Acknowledgment (40%)
- Responsible for processing donor gifts. These include transactions from individuals, corporations, and foundations related to Annual Fund and membership appeals and event sponsorships, as well as more complex entries connected to major and planned gifts.
- Manages acknowledgment system and ensures donors receive receipts/thank you letters in a timely manner.
Data & Systems Management (30%)
- Adds new constituents to Raiser’s Edge database through event attendance, referrals, and prospect research, and updates bio-demographic data points for current constituents.
- Regularly evaluates database effectiveness and designs repeatable systems to build efficiencies, ensure accuracy, and help staff prioritize efforts.
- Ensures data accuracy through regular maintenance queries and clean-up projects.
- Updates and syncs e-mail communications list with Raiser’s Edge database.
- Provides Raiser’s Edge training to Advancement staff, troubleshoots technical challenges, and serves as primary contact with Blackbaud vendor.
Major Gift Support (20%)
- Supports Executive Director and Director of Institutional Advancement in major gift work and prospect research.
- Creates and updates major gift data points in Raiser’s Edge and utilizes a variety of tools and reports to track solicitation and donor activity.
- Coordinates donor screenings with external vendor and volunteers. Working with staff, develops process / triage system for newly-identified major gift prospects.
- Qualifies prospective major donors by researching their giving to other organizations, giving potential and inclination, and interests.
- Occasionally prepares briefings on prospective donors and/or groups of donors for staff and Board members in advance of meetings.
Produces suite of monthly reports that monitor fundraising performance by initiative and strength of donor pipeline.
Other duties as assigned related to fundraising and constituent engagement.
- B.A. or B.S. with at least two-three years of work experience in database support, fundraising, or project management;
- Affinity for technology with core skills in Microsoft Office, database applications, and e-mail marketing programs, and the ability/desire to learn and use other specialized software;
- Affinity for systems, rules, and processes;
- Creative problem solver with keen attention to detail;
- Ability to manage priorities and accomplish multiple tasks in a busy environment;
- Team player with sense of humor and flexibility to accomplish an ambitious vision in an evolving institution.
- Direct experience with Raiser’s Edge database.
- Knowledge of prospect research and fundraising strategies, tools, and tracking systems.
To apply, send resume and cover letter by January 26 to Christina Traister, Director of Institutional Advancement, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.