13 Jan 2014 4:25 PM | Anonymous
This is a message for all of Maine's cultural institutions from the Cultural Emergency Resource Coalition (CERC: Maine).  Maine Archives and Museums  has partnered with CERC (Maine) to provide Maine's collecting institutions with valuable information about disaster preparedness and response.

If your organization suffered damage in the recent ice storm, please read the following message from the Maine Emergency Management Agency:

The Maine Emergency Management Agency is reminding anyone whose home or business suffered damages from the December Ice Storm that 2-1-1 Maine is still collecting information about those damages and would like to hear from them.

On New Year's Day, Governor Paul LePage requested all those who had damages or losses from the ice storm to report to 211 (dial 2-1-1, toll free). As the Governor stated in that announcement:

“This is not an application for assistance. We need to know how many people have been impacted, and where they are, in order to assess what kinds of assistance might be available. We’re asking people to report to 211 so that we know the extent of damages and losses. The 211 call specialists also have health and safety information available, and may be able to refer you to some kinds of help right away."

Although reports are still coming in to 211, more data is still needed to determine if the State might be eligible for any additional assistance programs.

It is especially important to report major damages such as burst pipes, damaged heating and electrical systems, or roof and structure damage from falling limbs and ice. All reported information helps to assess the overall impact from the ice storm. Damages can be reported to 211 even if it appears insurance will cover some or all of the cost.

MEMA advises:

  • List and document the damages with as much detail as you can.
  • Dial 2-1-1 (toll free) to report your damages. Remember, this is a survey only, you cannot apply for any assistance through 211.
  • Keep records and receipts of any repairs you have done.
  • Call your insurance agent to see if the damage is covered

Only one report per household is needed, so if you have provided your information you do not need to call again. Those calling 211 should be prepared to give:

  1. Name of Individual/Family Affected
  2. County
  3. Town
  4. Address of Property Affected
  5. Your Current Address if different
  6. Telephone number to be reached at
  7. Nature of issues or damages
  8. For Business owners, approximate dollars, days or other approximate measure of revenue lost. (the call specialist may ask some additional questions specific to SBA assistance criteria)

MEMA will be working with other state and federal agencies and volunteer groups to evaluate the survey data. 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software