Greater Portland Landmarks
TITLE: Portland Observatory Assistant Site Manager (2 positions available)
Part time, seasonal, 24 hours per week (every other week on Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
Memorial Day Weekend – Columbus Day, pre-season training and orientation in April and May.
REPORTS TO: Manager of Education Programs
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Portland Observatory Assistant Site Manager will work closely with the Observatory Site Manager, overseeing the daily operation of the Portland Observatory Museum when on site and leading public tours.
- Open and close the Observatory for tours during its scheduled hours of operation.
- Make bank deposits and ensure that there is adequate change for cash sales.
- Supervise the volunteer docents on-site.
- Present tours to the public, when necessary.
- Greet visitors
- Sell tour tickets and retail merchandise,
- Create a positive and professional atmosphere for both docents and visitors
- Be available to work alternating weekends with another Assistant Site Manager
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to;
- Awareness and responsibility for visitor safety
- Ask docents to sign in their hours in the “docent sign-in” log
- Keep gift shop shelves stocked
- Communicate status of Gift Shop stock, docent scheduling changes and all other issues/items with the Education Programs Assistant/Observatory Site Manager
- Close the cash register and credit card purchases daily
- Provide assistance on Flag Day and other scheduled special events.
- Make docent scheduling adjustments, as needed, including immediate or emergency needs due to unforeseen situations.
- must be able to walk up and down 100 stairs
- must have basic computer skills
- excellent human relations skills
- demonstrated customer service skills
- strong oral and written communication skills
- enthusiasm for working with a variety of ages
- ability to manage, and organize activities and people
- enthusiasm for sharing knowledge
- available to work on the weekends and/or evenings
A background in history or historic preservation is preferred but not required – we will provide training.
Additional Job Information
||Please submit cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until position is filled.
||Teacher, Volunteer Management
||May 25, 2015
||Portland Observatory, 138 Congress St., Portland