DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS ASSISTANT
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Maine Humanities Council (MHC) is a Portland-based nonprofit organization that serves the state of Maine. Our mission is to enrich the lives of people in Maine through literature, history, philosophy, and culture with programs, events, grants, and online resources that encourage critical thinking and conversation across social, economic, and cultural boundaries. Our work connects people through the power and pleasure of ideas, reaching audiences of all economic backgrounds in ways that make a significant difference in their lives.
The MHC is seeking a full-time Development and Communications Assistant to provide support for the fundraising and communications efforts of the organization. In that capacity, this individual will assist with responsibilities that include:
* Performing gift entry and acknowledgement process and assist with solicitation process
* Assist with prospect research
* Assist with preparation for and execution of special fundraising events
* Assist with writing stories for fundraising publications; write blog posts and daily social media posts
* Assist with board alumni "friendraising" and fundraising efforts
* Perform website updates and handle social media schedules
* Draft and send press releases
* Execute marketing and publicity plans for programs and events
* Create postcards for MHC events as needed
The ideal candidate will have:
* Excellent organizational, communications, and interpersonal skills
* The ability to meet deadlines and maintain organized records with high level of accuracy in a fast-paced environment
* Superior attention to detail
* Sensitivity to confidential information required
* Strong writing skills and the ability to adopt different styles depending on needs
* Proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, Outlook) and database software (Filemaker)
* Familiarity with content management systems for websites (WordPress)
* Familiarity with social media and online communication tools
* Strong interest in the humanities
Basic graphic design skills (Photoshop, Adobe InDesign) and familiarity with an email marketing service (MailChimp) are desired. A Bachelor's Degree is preferred.
The salary for this position is $25,000 with a benefit package.
To apply, please send a résumé, cover letter, writing sample, and three references to email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
>. Applications due by 5 pm on Wednesday, May 20th.